Neurotic Fishbowl: My Best Friend's Wedding (and a Trip to the ER)


« A Quick Note | Main Index | Send Me Some Luck... »
comments | incoming pings | outgoing pings

strtotime ("June 2, 2004 01:23 AM")) { ?>

My Best Friend's Wedding (and a Trip to the ER)

As probably everyone knows by now, Saturday was Christine and Mike's wedding.

Thursday morning at about 1:00, I finished printing the CDs that were going to be used as wedding favors. I spent a few more hours cutting the booklets to fit the cases and putting the labels on the CDs. Later that night, I met Christine, her mother, and Jason (her son) and followed them up to Galveston.

We checked in to The Tremont Hotel and Christine and I headed to a bar across the street called Fitzpatrick's. We had a drink, watched Biker Boyz in closed caption (I have decided that I want my name to be Baby Girl, not Kymberlie), and then went to Wal-Mart for emergency supplies (i.e. cookie dough and chips).

Since the Wal-Mart is on the seawall, after we left we pulled over and walked along the beach for a while. I usually go to Galveston in the fall, so I was completely not ready for the massive amounts of seaweed that was all over the place. We walked in the water for a little while, but the seaweed freaked Christine out, so we didn't stay too long. Of course, it was already after 2:00 in the morning, so that's a good thing.

Friday afternoon we got up, lounged around a bit, and then headed to the downstairs to the bridesmaid luncheon where I finally got to meet Mike's mom, Gretchen, who is just super-duper nice. Chelsey (the maid of honor), Christine, her mom, and two of her aunts rounded out the rest of the party. The food was great (as were the apple martinis) and I had a really nice time talking to everyone. At 2:30 Christine and Chelsey went to go get their nails done and I went to go wander around the Strand (lots of shops, a few bars, ice creams parlors, etc. for those not familiar with the area).

I had a great time walking along the Strand. I went into a clothing store that was giving away mimosas (very yummy) and had the cutest little eleven-week old puppy. I bought a really pretty anklet for $5.00 at the Yaga store. I even had a small vanilla ice cream cone that I sat and ate while it melted in the sun. All in all, a very nice little bit of time spent on my own.

After that, I headed back to the hotel to take a nap. The rooms were absolutely gorgeous and even had towel warmers in the bathroom so you could wrap yourself up in a heated towel after a shower. The best part of the rooms, though, were the beds. They were these incredible Serta mattress (I am so buying one as soon as possible) that put me to sleep immediately.

I'd been asleep for probably forty minutes or so when the phone rang. It was Rannie asking me what I was up to. I headed over to his room and we went off in search of a building with old signs that he wanted to photograph.

After walking around, we finally found the building. We also found this great partially demolished wall that was just amazing. It had old ads on it, lots of colors, and some great graffiti.

Watching Rannie take pictures was a highlight of the day for me. He has the most amazing eye; I truly wish that I could take photos the way he does.

It was then time to go back to the hotel and get ready for the rehearsal and dinner. Christine got back from her nail appointment and was getting ready while I read in bed. We were getting ready to leave around 6:30 when my back suddenly started to hurt. I mentioned it to Christine, but it went away, so we headed off to the church and I forgot about it.

The rehearsal went really well and I got to meet Mike's groomsmen - Joseph (his brother and best man), Chris, and Steve. They were all really nice and lots of fun. We then headed back to the hotel since the restaurant for the rehearsal dinner was only a block away.

We walked over to the restaurant and enjoyed a lovely meal and some great conversation with the bridal party and Mandy and Craig, friends of Mike. A few hours into dinner, though, my back started hurting really bad again. I decided to head back to the hotel (Christine said later that she knew I really wasn't feeling well when I left half of my apple martini) to lie down.

By the time I got downstairs and walked the block to the hotel, I was feeling decidedly worse. I tried laying down, I tried taking a hot bath, but nothing made the pain any better. Pretty soon I started throwing up and couldn't stop, even when I emptied everything out of my stomach. Rannie came by to check on me, but I was feeling so bad I hardly said anything to him. I did tell him if he saw Christine to send her up to the room.

Probably a half hour later (time is so screwy when you're really sick) Christine came up. I was curled around the toilet, but apparently the first thing that I said to her when she walked in was that I was so sorry for getting sick before her wedding. I kept hoping the whole time that the pain would subside enough for me to be okay, but it was becoming more and more apparent that that wasn't going to be the case.

Christine asked me for my insurance card and called the insurance company and pretended to be me (F is for Fraud!) to see what they suggested. They said it sounded like kidney stones and I should go to the hospital. Chris, one of the groomsmen (the one that I walked down the aisle with after the ceremony, as a matter of fact) is a doctor and he agreed that if I was still throwing up that I definitely should head to a hospital. His wife, Carrie, had just flown in and she even offered to take me though we hadn't even met.

It's then decided that Mike should take me to the hospital since Christine can't drive my car and she's had a lot of late nights and has to get up early the next day to get her make-up done. Mike and I arrive at UTMB right before 1:00 a.m. I remember looking at the clock during check in and seeing it read 00:56. I thought, "That must be handy for pronouncing time of death and things in military time," and then I puked between my shoes.

Mike told them that he was my brother so that I wouldn't have to be left alone when I got a room. He also told them that Chris was our other brother so if he needed to be relieved someone with some medical knowledge could come and sit with me. I'm telling you, I love these guys. Nothing makes you feel better when sick (well, except for heavy narcotics) than having people look out for you.

The next four hours was an experience in a lot of pain. It was Memorial Day weekend, so traumas kept coming in, making it impossible for me to get into a room. Mike got really good at getting the bedpan to me in seconds when I croaked that I needed it and switching them out for clean ones. He also made sure I had water and got the nurse to get me a blanket when I was getting chills from the pain and shaking really badly. I honestly don't know what I would have done without him and without Christine to send him to me. Bet he never thought he'd be spending his last night as a bachelor with me in an ER.

A little after 5:00 we finally made it to a room. I was so happy to get on a gurney so I could lay face down and not press on my kidneys. A nurse came in a few minutes later and said that they were going to start me on some fluids and do a CT scan. I told him I needed pain medicine - now. He said that as soon as they started my IV I would get some morphine. I've got to tell you, "morphine drip" are the two words that make any hospital stay better.

I vaguely remember the nurse (Scott? I think that might have been his name) starting my IV and pretty much as soon as the morphine hit, I was out. I woke up about forty minutes later wondering how long I slept. Mike told me and then said he needed to go since he was so tired he was about to fall off the stool he was sitting on, taking my IV tower out in the process.

He left around 6:00 a.m. (after putting my socks on for me since I was incapable of taking off my shoes and getting me a pillow) and the next couple of hours consisted of me sleeping, getting more morphine (I remember thinking at one point how apt that the name morphine was derived from Morpheus, the Greek god of dreams), and me telling every nurse or doctor that came in my room that I needed to be back at the hotel by 10:00 - 11:00 at the latest - so I could get ready for the wedding.

Karen (the nurse who came in after Scott) and Dr. Coombs were very nice and helpful. I went in for the CT around 8:00 and Dr. Coombs came back to tell me that he was pushing my scans through radiology so that I could leave in time for the wedding. While waiting for him to come back, I called Christine to give her the skinny on what was going on. I got her voice mail and left her a message saying that it looks like I would be in the wedding and that they'd be giving me pain killers. I told her that hopefully I wouldn't be like the bride in Sixteen Candles (ironically a movie that was in the care package that I received from everyone when I was in the hospital last time) who wanders up and down the aisle at her wedding and has to sit down in a pew after taking three muscle relaxers.

Less than an hour later the doctor was back since he decided it would be quicker just to read the scans himself than send them through radiology. Turns out that I have three kidney stones - a rather large one in my right kidney, a smaller one in my left, and one on my left side that was on its way out (eventually), and thus the pain.

Since there's not much you can do for kidney stones, they gave me prescriptions for Ibuprofen to deal with an inflammation and Vicodin for the pain (the heavens sang when I got that). They also provided me with some strainers to pee into in hopes of catching the stone so I can take it to a urologist and see what's causing the stones. I then went and gave them all my insurance information (because I really want more medicals bills at this point since I'm still paying off last year's pulmonary embolism) and checked out. Christine's dad, Al, and Jason picked me up and it was off to Walgreen's to fill my prescriptions and get water and cranberry juice (after a stop for a donut since I had nothing left in my stomach).

We get back to the hotel and I crawl out of the car looking like death warmed over (shorts, old Gold's Gym t-shirt with no bra, vestiges of last night's make-up still on but smeared all over, bandages on both hands and my arm where blood work and IVs were done, and my old crappy looking glasses on). Two women are standing on the sidewalk and they both immediately turn to me and say, "We heard about you! Are you doing okay today?" I'm trying to figure out if I know them (Were they at the rehearsal dinner? Did we get introduced?). I tell them I'm much better, thanks, and I'm very sorry, but do I know them? They introduce themselves as Mike's cousins (at least I'm pretty sure that's what they said), explain that we hadn't met, but that they'd heard what had happened. I immediately realized then that I was going to be the girl that everyone knew because I had to be rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night by the groom.

I went upstairs and laid down for a while and then headed upstairs to the honeymoon suite to get my hair and make-up done. I love being pampered, so it was quite fun to be treated like a princess and have everything taken care of. Gary, the photographer, was a lot of fun and I really can't wait to see all the pictures.

It was then time to head off to the church. The guy who drove us over in the town car took us the scenic way and it totally cracked me up when even he knew all about my hospital visit the night before! We arrived at the church and stood outside for a while taking more pictures, talking to the minister and the guests when as they arrived, and then it was time to go in for the ceremony. Luckily it was a short ceremony since the church was pretty hot and if we would have had to stay in there much longer, I am afraid I may have just passed out at the altar.

We then headed back to the Tremont for the reception which was just lovely. Lots of bloggers were in attendance (Matt, Katie, Elaine, Kathy, and Syd) and it really was a lot of fun. Since I didn't have a date and Jay, Rannie's boyfriend, was still in Canada, Rannie agreed to be my pseudo-date so I got to sit in his lap and dance with him. What more could a girl want?

I kept up my streak of catching the bouquet (popping off two of the buttons on the back of my dress in the process, but I told everyone I was going to get it) and dooming every single girl at the wedding to a life of spinsterhood since I am seriously beginning to doubt that I'll ever get married. Since they have to wait on me, they may be waiting quite a while.

After blowing bubbles as the bride and groom ran to their horse-drawn carriage, Katie followed me up to my room so she could undress me (Damn dresses that button up the back and require an additional person to remove! They are the bane of the single woman!). We went downstairs and sat with some of the bridal party, but she and her husband Chris took off after a while.

Eventually, all of the bridal party, spouses, and Rannie assembled downstairs to decide where to go next. We found out that the roof of the building was open to guests so we all went upstairs and talked for a while. It was lots of fun, but around 2:00 a.m. we decided to call it quits and head to our rooms. Luckily for me, Rannie took pity on the fact that I had something like fifty bobby pins and ornaments in my hair, so I followed him to his room where he took them all out for me. Let me tell you, it was pure bliss to finally let my hair down.

The next day we (the bridal party) went to the Hotel Galvez for lunch. I felt pretty crappy all day and even worse by the time lunch was over. I seriously doubted my ability to drive so Mike and Christine came to my rescue again. Despite the fact that they were still in their wedding finery (pictures on the beach before lunch and then headed back to Houston for more pictures in a few locations), Mike offered to drive my tiny little Miata and Christine drove his Golf (there was no way that a wedding dress clad bride was fitting behind the wheel of my car!).

To make a long story short (too late!), we drove back to Houston, Rannie took some more pictures, we had a quick bite to eat at Frank's Pizza, and then Mike and Christine dropped me off. I spent the rest of Sunday and most of Monday and Tuesday sleeping, taking Vicodin as necessary, and not doing much else. I feel a lot better for the most part, though the pain still can come on pretty strong. I have a job interview this afternoon, though, so I'm trying really hard not to take a lot of Vicodin since I want to both be able to drive to the interview and be coherent in it.

All in all, the wedding was a lot of fun and I'm sure that my trip to the ER will only add to the whole story, especially since nothing too bad really came of it. I love Mike and Christine bunches and I'm glad that I was able to stand up at the altar with them on their special day. Congratulations and best wishes to you both!

.: Posted June 2, 2004 01:23 AM in Fish Tales, ";print substr($entry_cats, 0, -2); ?> :.

"; echo "Trackbacks on this post: ", $count, ""; $pingarray = "SELECT p.tbping_source_url, p.tbping_blog_name, p.tbping_created_on, p.tbping_excerpt, p.tbping_tb_id, t.trackback_id, t.trackback_entry_id FROM mt_tbping p, mt_trackback t WHERE (p.tbping_blog_id = $blogid) and (t.trackback_entry_id = $entry_id) and (t.trackback_id = p.tbping_tb_id)"; $resultping = mysql_query($pingarray) or die (mysql_error()); while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($resultping)) { //set up the variables being used - the date can be configured below $url = ($row['tbping_source_url']); $blog = ($row['tbping_blog_name']); $date = date("F d, Y g:i A", strtotime($row['tbping_created_on'])); $excerpt = ($row['tbping_excerpt']); echo "

", $excerpt, "

"; echo "
Posted by "; echo "", $blog, ""; echo " on ", $date, "
"; } ?>

Ping this post



That's an impressive weekend! Yay for such wonderful new and old friends.

.: Lisa said on June 2, 2004 07:20 AM :: link it :.

Look at it this really added to the wedding story and at least it wasn't the bride or groom feeling poorly! What nice people they are to take such good care of are a lucky girl with such friends.

.: daisy said on June 2, 2004 08:54 AM :: link it :.

man. what an ordeal! well good luck on the interview and I hope you're feel much better!

.: girl said on June 2, 2004 11:43 AM :: link it :.

Glad you are okay. Sounds like a great weekend in good olde Galveston

.: irfan said on June 2, 2004 12:09 PM :: link it :.

my goodness, Kymberlie.. I am so glad you are ok. You sound like you've been through quite enough (though I am kind of giggling about your strainer!) It sucks that I couldn't meet you when I was in Houston, and now knowing that you were going through so much, I feel even worse that I couldn't have been there to give you a hug. next time we'll meet up, babe. I am glad you are doing better. xoxo

.: LT said on June 2, 2004 12:40 PM :: link it :.

ugh! i have had kidney stones twice in my 20's. i have even read (and its not me saying this, but what i read) that its the worst pain a human can experience, yes, worse than childbirth(but again, i read this, i cant really say, but i know it was damn painful) Reading your post totally reminded me of my last attack. all that trying to get comfortable and nothing working... and then the wonderful relief that goes by the name Morphine Drip. what a beautiful thing that is. hope you are feeling better and good luck on the job!

.: cat. said on June 3, 2004 08:40 AM :: link it :.

You're too early! Come back at June 2, 2004 01:23 AM to see this post.

Post a comment*:
{HTML ok, IP address logged}


E-mail Address: (Optional)

URL: (Optional)

Add a smilie (launches smilie 'palette')


Remember info?

Subscribe to post
Unsubscribe to post
(e-mail field must be filled in)
Enter e-mail address to subscribe/unsubscribe to comments on this post without having to post a comment:
Subscribe to post
Unsubscribe to post
(e-mail field must be filled in) -->

* Please note: Comments that are inappropriate will be deleted - mean, spiteful, rude comments. Don't let that stop you from posting comments. Just wanted to let you know the rules of the house.